Prevail in Life with the Proper F.O.C.U.S.
In our lives, we face challenges from many different sources—the adversary whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10a), from other people, and some challenges are even brought about by our own actions or lack thereof. But, with the right “FOCUS”, we can overcome the adversary; we can prevail over the stumbling blocks placed in our paths and we can get out of our own way so that we can prevail in all aspects of life. In this sharing, we will look at God’s heart for His children, the born-again believer. Then we will look at some keys to help us hone our “FOCUS”, so that we can receive and be God’s best.
John 16:33b (KJV) - "In the world ye shall have tribulation..."
- Jesus Christ told his disciples that they would face challenges in their lives. Here in the Grace Administration, we are not immune to facing challenges in our lives. But, that is not God’s heart for our lives.
I: God’s desire for His children
3 John 1:2 - Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
- God wants His children to live a life filled with great abundance and great prosperity in all aspects—physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.!
2 Timothy 3:17 - That the man of God may be perfect (complete and proficient), thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
- It is God’s desire that we go through life not lacking anything, but rather that we have all that we need to fully prevail.
2 Peter 1:3a -“According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness…”
- “Hath” is past tense. God has made it available for us to have what we need. As born-again believers, (Romans 10:9-10), we are equipped to be the victor in all aspects of life.
II: Keys to help us hone our “FOCUS”, so that we can receive and be God’s best
Fervent Prayer - James 5:16b (KJV) – “…The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
- The Greek word for fervent is “energeō” (where we get the word energized). It means "to be operative, be at work, put forth power; to display one's activity, show one's self operative. Merriam-Webster defines fervent as “exhibiting or marked by great intensity of feeling”;
- An example from the word: James 5:17 Elias (Elijah) was a man subject to like passions as we are (he was a believer just like us), and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.18 And he prayed again (at a later time), and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
- Wow, talk about prayer with an impact. Elijah was fully persuaded & believed in the power of prayer. He prayed earnestly and he was not disappointed and we can too!
1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “Pray without ceasing.”
- We are encouraged to make prayer a constant and consistent part of our daily lives
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (ESV) – “To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power,”
- When we pray with our understanding (with the knowledge and accuracy of God’s Word), our prayers make a big, powerful impact on people and on situations. Prayer is the catalyst that brings God’s prevailing power into action and brings about positive, believing results!
Obedience to the Word of God
Proverbs 3:5-8 - 5 “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear (reverence/respect) the Lord, and depart from evil. 8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.”
- God will direct us and put us on the path to prosperity when we trust in Him
James 1:22 – “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
- We are not just hear the word, we are to put on and act on the word and live it.
Christ in You and Me
1 Corinthians 2:16b—but we have the mind of Christ.
- Philippians 2:5 says –“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:”
- Jesus Christ stayed focused on God’s Word and he prevailed in every category of his life. He applied the word to back down the adversary and we can do it too.
- As athletes of the spirit, what is our battle?
- Answer: Ephesians: 6:12 – “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
John 10:10a tells us, “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy:
- The word also tells us that we have a spiritual opponent in this life who seeks to disrupt and block us from receiving God’s best.
- But in contrast, John 10:10b tells us, “…I (Jesus Christ) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”
- Jesus Christ exposed the adversary and shed light on him and his mission.
Colossians 2:10: “And ye are complete in him (Jesus Christ), which is the head of all principality and power.”
- In Aramaic this verse has the emphasis that “we are completely, completely, absolutely complete in him.” We lack nothing! We can confess, “I’m complete in Christ!”
Romans 8:35-39 (KJV) - 35 “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Jesus Christ paved the way for us to be more than a conqueror over our challenges in life.
Utilize our God-given abilities: Pray in the Spirit (Speaking In Tongues)
- Here in the Grace Administration, there are 9 Manifestations of Holy Spirit and they are outlined in I Corinthians 12:7-10 and are available to all born-again believers to fully utilize. One of which is Speaking in Tongues. Romans 8 give more insights regarding the tremendous benefits of Speaking in Tongues.
Romans 8:26 – “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”
- When we speak in tongue, we have perfect prayer and therefore no details are omitted. We leave no stone unturned in regards to thanking God for our needs getting met.
- We might not have all of the details surrounding a situation, but when we speak in tongues, we are speaking the perfect prayer for ourselves and others.
Study—Study God’s Word so that you know what is available
- Hosea 4:6 - "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..."
- 2 Peter 1:3 - According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2 Timothy 2:15 – Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- God has given us His Word (which is His will for our lives) so that we may be fully furnished and so that we know what is available to us.
- In the Grace Administration, we have the 7 Church Epistles (Romans through 2 Thessalonians), plus Timothy, Titus and Philemon—our guide map that we can utilize to ensure that we are focused on (and studying) the right things so that we can know how to ascertain and be God’s best.
In Summary: 2 Corinthians 9:8 say, “And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:”
In this post, we have seen that God’s will for our lives is for us to proper and prevail in every category. We have seen that we have physical challenges in the sense realm emanating from within and from others. We have also seen that we have an adversary who tries to get us out of “FOCUS” and cause us to miss out on God’s blessing. But, with the proper “FOCUS” we can be fully equipped with God given ability and power to overcome any challenge that we face in our lives. As we move forward in life according to God’s word, we put ourselves in position to receive His best and put ourselves in position to prevail in every category of our lives.